Saturday, May 31, 2008

using up the stash...curry curry curry

just when I thought I had sorted and unearthed ALL of my stashed fabric, I found a huge bag stuffed full of more. It contained this cute little hula girl fabric I bought 2 or 3 years ago. I did not feel up to sketching my own pattern this time, so I used a simplicity project runway pattern. I have some vintage red buttons that will go on the back, and probably some fat, red rickrack that was also in the bag.

Photobucket

We love curry here at our house, and my husband picked up this great tin of curry powder when he was in Japan awhile back. I have an old standby curried chicken recipe that I love, but it's a little too much for the kiddos. And really time consuming. So last night was the shortcut version, it was great! It started out as a Real Simple Magazine cheater's recipe, but I kind of tweaked it for more of a Cambodian/Thai style curry.

Rotisserie chicken (pick the meat off and set it aside)
2 tablespoons of coconut milk
3/4 cup of heavy cream
1 small size container of plain yogurt (about a half cup)
fresh lemongrass
fresh cilantro
mild yellow curry powder (for a NOT kid friendly version, use a teaspoon of Thai curry paste)
small yellow or white onion
white rice


chop the onion and saute in a tiny bit of olive oil over medium high heat. cook until slightly golden. Add the curry powder, coconut milk, heavy cream, and yogurt, reduce heat, and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in fresh chopped or grated lemon grass (one or two tablespoons), fresh chopped cilantro (about a half cup) and toss together until cilantro has slightly wilted. Serve over white rice. Season to taste with kosher salt.

1 comment:

Brambleberry said...

LOVE the shirt, and the recipe sounds wonderful. I think I'm drooling.