Thursday, May 29, 2008

we took the leap...homeschooling the tweebs

My 2 middle guys, Jay and Max, are the Irish twins of the bunch, and so, wound up in the same grade. Max was very ready for kindergarten, but Jay needed some extra help to come along. We have had several struggles with him at the public schools throughout the year, and decided to talk about homeschooling the two of them. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the right choice. I finally made up my mind when the boys came home after a field trip to a local farm. Their eyes lit up when they told me about riding the pony, and going on a hayride with bunnies. I was thrilled that they had such a wonderful time experiencing those firsts, but my heart broke when I realized I couldn't share it with them. I feel as though I am missing so much.

They are still such little people in the making, and at the end of the school day, I am missing nearly 8 hours of their lives. To me, that is just completely unacceptable. I want to experience the thrill of learning WITH them, I want to watch them plant a garden, paint a picture, ride a horse, read a book, bake brownies, the list goes on! My oldest will still continue in the public schools, he is in many advanced classes (didn't get that from me!!) and very involved in activities, so he prefers to continue on in the school system, but we have decided that elementary school will be replaced with homeschooling for the 4 youngest. I'm very at peace with the decision and can't wait to begin sharing our adventures!

and Visty, yes we ARE all just copycats, lol, you were on to something all along!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I love it. I feel like the world's biggest hypocrite with the kids in school, because it's going against everything I feel is important to me about childhood. Seeing you take the plunge is going to help me get back into the swing of it, I know it.